Legal Redress

Civil Rights Complaints – Legal Redress

1) The Santa Fe Branch NAACP cannot provide legal advice or services to those who feel their civil rights may have been violated. If you want to take legal action you must locate and pay for your own attorney.  

2) We are able to meet with residents of Santa Fe County to help them complete paperwork needed for other organizations that do process civil rights complaints such as: the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) or the Fair Housing Authority. A listing of some resources follows this letter.

At your request and arrangement, we may accompany you to a meeting with the entity with whom you have a grievance for the purpose of mediation. 

The Santa Fe Branch NAACP will keep copies of any complaints submitted to us. This may be helpful to establish if your problem has happened to others and may constitute a class action civil rights complaint.  

3) If you live north of Santa Fe County in an area that does not have an NAACP Branch we will keep a copy of your complaint on file and forward a copy of it to the State NAACP Legal Redress for their records. If you request so in writing we will send a letter with the complaint that you filed with our Branch to the entity with who you have a grievance confirming it is on file with the NAACP. We are sorry that our current resources do not permit us to provide other services outside Santa Fe County.

We must have a written description of your complaint before we can take any action. In order to file a complaint with the Santa Fe Branch NAACP you will need to submit in writing the following information:

  1. Your name, address, telephone number(s), and email address (if you have one).
  2. A request for our assistance.
  3. The dates, times and locations you feel your civil rights may have been violated.
  4. Describe specifically what happened and why you believe you were treated differently or unfairly because of your race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender or religion.
  5. Witnesses (names, addresses and contact information if you have them).
  6. Contact information for the person(s), business or organization that you feel may have violated your civil rights.
  7. Sign and date your complaint, and send it to to the attention of Civil Rights Complaint Chairs.

Thank you,

Santa Fe Branch NAACP Legal Redress Chair

Resources for Taking Formal Action on Behalf of a Civil Right’s Complaint

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Fair Housing

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU -NM)